Organized real estate ensures the vibrancy of the commercial market through advocacy. From city halls to the state house to the U.S. Capitol, our elected officials are making decisions that have a huge impact on the bottom line of REALTORS® and their clients. Locally, the St. Louis REALTORS®’ Government Affairs department is a watchdog for the St. Louis commercial market. Working closely with the state and national associations of REALTORS®, the St. Louis REALTORS® Governmental Affairs department has an impact on protecting your ability to do business.
St. Louis REALTORS® Commercial Division also work with economic development partners, such as the St. Louis Economic Development Partnership, the Hawthorn Foundation, the Missouri Partnership, and the St. Louis Regional Chamber, to promote our region and attract, retain, and grow jobs here. Our members have the opportunity to learn about economic development projects in St. Louis City and County through the Economic Development Committee and the Urban Affairs Forum.
The National Association of REALTORS® advocates every day on behalf of the nation’s 1.3 million REALTORS® and 75 million property owners. To learn more about NAR’s commercial advocacy efforts, click HERE. To follow National Association of REALTORS® commercial real estate advocacy efforts during the current congress, visit NAR’s priority commercial real estate issues in the 116th Congress.
Notable Advocacy Victories
- Thanks to the passage of Missouri’s Amendment 4, we successfully prevented the threat of new sales taxes on commissions and services. Immense victory credit goes to REALTOR® efforts throughout Missouri.
- We protected commercial brokers’ commissions by supporting one of the country’s first commercial lien laws.
- We beat a probable real estate commission tax in Missouri that now saves commercial brokers from forfeiting six percent on EVERY real estate commission.
- Against tremendous odds, we led, and continue to defend, the Historic Tax Credit … which would not exist without the lobbying of Missouri REALTORS®!
- Our victory in keeping banks out of the real estate brokerage saves every REALTOR®, both commercial and residential, an average of $5,400 each year.
- We are continually lobbying for the preservation of the 1031 Exchange.
- Prevented a controversial rental licensing ordinance proposed by St. Louis County from passing by undertaking legal action and winning Summary Judgement.
For more information on the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) and how you can make a difference in supporting pro-REALTOR® Party candidates at the Federal, State and local level – click here!