Located in the central west region of the City of St. Louis is the Academy neighborhood. Surrounded by Kingshighway West to the north, Central West End to the south, Fountain Park to the east and Hamilton Heights, West End and Visitation Park to the west, the neighborhood covers a total land area of 0.44 square miles. Academy’s population as of the 2010 census was recorded at nearly 2,816 residents. The neighborhood is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 18th and 26th Wards respectively.
Famous residents of Academy include American screenwriter Sally Benson whose Academy-raised childhood inspired her 1942 novel Meet Me in St. Louis which went on to be a musical film two years later. Famous American playwright Tennessee Williams attended Soldan High School within the neighborhood and used his experience within Academy to serve as the setting for his play The Glass Menagerie. The area has history dating back to the early-1800s as most of present-day Academy lied within the historic Cabanne Neighborhood, a vast farm land owned by a merchant and fur-trader named Jean Pierre Cabanne.
Many of the residential buildings within Academy were built during 1890 through 1920 and the main residential neighborhoods are located north of Page Boulevard near the Mount Cabanne/Raymond Place Historic District, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in the early spring of 2002. Today, Academy is a neighborhood of both new and old with its immense array of historical architecture and freshly remodeled areas. Residents of Academy are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
The Cabanne Brance of the St. Louis Public Library is located in the Academy neighborhood and is the second of the original six Public Library branches built in 1906.
The neighborhood has one park within its boundaries. Marie Fowler Park, originally known as Costello Park, was named after a member of the Committee of Racial Equality who served as chairman of the board and director for Kinder Cottage Pre-School for more than a decade. The park was put into ordinance in 1981 and covers nearly .72 acres of land.