Located in between the north county cities of Bel-Ridge, Pasadena Hills, Normandy and Cool Valley is the St. Louis county municipality of Bellerive Acres. The city was originally a village until the spring of 2015 when residents voted to change to city status. As of the 2010 census, the population was at 188 residents and the city has a total land area of no more than 0.33 square miles. The city is also the former site of Bellerive Country Club, which repositioned into a southwest area of Town and Country in 1959. Much of the former golf course is now occupied by the University of Missouri–St. Louis.
Prior to settlement, the region of Bellerive was initially part of the Normandy Park estate of J.B.C Lucas. The Lucas family was amongst the wealthiest in all of St. Louis, thanks in part to their large holdings of downtown real estate. Thanks, in part, to many transfers throughout the years, the nearly 100-acre land was eventually sold to the John Fursternberg, president and treasurer of Boggs Broom Corn Company – a local broom corn and broom supplies manufacturer.
The city’s settlement history dates back to as early as the summer of 1924 when John Furstenberg hired architect agency John Noyes Company to lay out a new subdivision. On November of that same year, Bellerive Acres was platted.
John Noyes was one of the leading architects in the St. Louis region at the time. He served as landscape architect for the Missouri Botanical Garden from 1914 to 1935 and designed the Arboretum at Grey’s Summit. He eventually opened up his own office in the mid-1920s and designed many popular north county subdivisions such as Wydown Terrace in Clayton, Dromara in Ladue as well as the original layout for the regions of the cities of Frontenac and Pasadaena Park.
After the Bellerive Acres subdivision was platted, lots began to sell. Nearly 56 of the 91 available lots in the subdivision were sold by the conclusion of 1926. Only a few of the buyers immediately bought houses, while others waited to see would transpire of the new region.
In 1927, a sale of an eastern lot was made to the Golf Club Investment Company presumably to enhance the Bellerive golf course next door. According to county assessor records, the first directory to list residents by street number occurred in 1930, when there were 12. By 1938, 25 houses were listed within the region. A year later, the area would incorporate as the village of Bellerive Acres.
Residents of Bellerive Acres are served by the Normandy School District.
Many education and event centers of the University of Missouri–St. Louis (UMSL) are within the city of Bellerive’s boundaries. The Blanche M. Touhill Performing Arts Center complex holds classic music presentations, concerts, comedy and dance events.
The UMSL Campus Recreation Center is dedicated to offering a spot for all members to stay, play, and connect on the UMSL Campus. Activities include aquatics courses, fitness and wellness, team sports and wall climbing.
|Mayor of Bellerive Acres||Ann S. Knapp||(314) 382-5337|
|Board of Aldermen||
|City Administrator||Matt Laurer||(314) 954-4170|
|City Clerk / Court Clerk||
|City Attorney||Stephanie Karr||(314) 725-8788|
|Municipal Judge||Jennifer Fisher||(314) 385-3300|
|Financial Advisor||Lisa Lampmeinert||(314) 381-2834|
|Building Commissioner||Bill McCrary||(314) 385-3300|