Bevo Mill

Located in the south city region of the City of St. Louis is the historic neighborhood of Bevo Mill. Its general boundaries place its region with Chippewa Street towards the north, Holly Hills Boulevard at the south, South Kingshighway Boulevard and Gravois Avenue to the west and South Spring Avenue towards the east. Covering nearly 1.37 total square miles of land, Bevo Mill’s population, as of the 2010 census, was recorded at 12,654 residents. The neighborhood is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 13th and 14th Wards respectively.

Following the late 1860s, the neighborhoods within the northern and southern portion of Downtown St. Louis were completely filled to capacity. The overwhelming number of German immigrants to the region led to immense overpopulation and a need for residency elsewhere. It was during this time that the current day-Bevo Hill neighborhood began its initial development.

Much of its earliest German population constructed many of the foundation of the area around Gravois Road, a prominent road primarily used as a trade track between the city of St. Louis and most of the Missouri heartland.

Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, the region began to segment and many of the housing complexes developed into present day architecture. In 1915, a reproduction wind mill based on time-honored Dutch models began construction and was financed by August Busch Sr., founder of Anheuser Busch. Initially used as an entertaining space and dining hall for the Busch family specifically, it eventually became a public restaurant.

The Bevo Mill, as it was designated and where the neighborhood drew its inspiration in name, was selected as a beloved city landmark in 1971 … but more on its current history later!

Residents of Bevo Mill are served by the St. Louis Public School District.

Bevo Mill Official Website

Traditions

The historic Das Bevo Bierhall has a long tradition in the area and within the history of St. Louis. Originally built by August Busch Sr., the Bevo Mill, as it was originally called, marked the halfway point traveling from the brewery to his home at Grant’s Farm.

In 2008, InBev purchased Anheuser-Busch and gave the building to the city in hoping to revitalize it. Though it may have taken a few years, the Bevo Mill was rebranded as Das Bevo Bierhall in May of 2017.

Opened to the public in 2000, Joe Leisure Park is Bevo Mill’s main park area at roughly 16.10 acres. The northern region of the park includes a vast open space with plenty of shady trees and the southern portion includes a playground and baseball / soccer fields.

A popular destination for fans of dive-bars and live music to be found in Bevo Mill has to be the Heavy Anchor. Opened in April of 2011, the building was originally a small indie rock bar called Antarctica before new owners took over to rebrand.

Location

Community Contacts

Aldermen - Ward 13 Beth Murphy (314) 589-6836
Aldermen - Ward 14 Carol Howard (314) 622-3287
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist - Ward 13 Andrew Hernandez (314) 657-1368
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist - Ward 14 and 23 Christy Boyd (314) 657-1377