Carondelet

Located within the south city region of St. Louis City is the neighborhood of Carondelet. Nestled between the St. Louis County municipalities of Holly Hills, Bella Villa and Lemay, Carondelet covers nearly 1.45 total square miles of land and has a population, as of the 2010 census, of 8,661 residents. It is represented by four aldermen – sitting in the 11th, 12th, 13th and 25th Wards. Originally existing as an independent village before being annexed by the City of St. Louis in 1870, Carondelet’s housing units are some of the oldest within all of St. Louis with a good majority constructed between 1880 to 1930.

The neighborhood earned its name as tribute to the governor of the Upper Louisiana Spanish colony, Francisco Luis Héctor de Carondelet. Although this has served as the main name for several years, upon its original foundation in the late 18th century it was called a variety of different pseudonyms such as Delor’s Vilalge, Vide Poche, Louisbourg and even Sugarloaf. The area was founded by a southern French man named Clement Delor de Treget after he obtained a grant and built a stone house within the area’s boundaries. In 1762, the region was passed from French to Spanish hands in part of the Treaty of Fontainebleau, which followed the final battle of the French and Indian War.

Throughout the later portion of the 18th century into the middle 19th century, the area of Carondelet flourished as a friendly neighborhood filled with residents known for hospitality and enjoyment for an abundance of sports and entertainment.

In 1843, a German immigrant named Jacob Stein acquired a lot at the southern eastern portion of the neighborhood and was so taken aback by the opportunities within the region that he convinced many other Germans to settle in the area. Many of them become prominent members of Carondelet and their names became many streets in the popular “Stien’s Town” area of the neighborhood.

In 1832, Carondelet incorporated as an independent village. Nearly two decades later, the village was incorporated as a city and developed a reputation as a popular industrial district after the opening of the Iron Mountain Raiload. By 1870, Carondelet was officially annexed to St. Louis.

Residents of Carondelet are served by the St. Louis Public School District.

Carondelet Official Website

Traditions

Officially opened to the public in 1929, Carondelet Park is the third largest park within all of St. Louis. Originally known as Louisburg in honor of King Louis XV of France, the park earned its name in similar fashion as the neighborhood by way of Francisco Luis Héctor de Carondelet. The park covers nearly 179.71 acres of land and includes walk paths, sports fields, horseshoe pits and a playground for all ages.

Another notable park within Carondelet is Bellerive Park. Originally known as Riverside Park, it was subsequently renamed in reverence of the early French governor of St. Louis.

Location

Community Contacts

Aldermen Sarah Martin - Ward 11 (314) 622-3287
Aldermen Larry Arnowitz - Ward 12 (314) 622-3287
Aldermen Beth Murphy - Ward 13 (314) 589-6836
Aldermen Shane Cohn - Ward 25 (314) 622-3287
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist Kathryn Woodard - Ward 11 (314) 657-1355
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist Kathy Savage - Ward 12 (314) 657-1362
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist Andrew Hernandez - Ward 13 (314) 657-1368
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist Dena Hibbard - Ward 6 and 25 (314) 657-1356