Carr Square

Carr Square is a northern St. Louis City neighborhood bounded by the St. Louis Place, Old North St. Louis, Columbus Square, JeffVanderLou and Downtown West neighborhoods. As of the 2010 census, its population was calculated at 2,774 residents.. Carr Square covers a total of 0.41 square miles and is represented by one Aldermen sitting in the fifth Ward.

The land of present day Carr Square was settled by German immigrants living near the region’s main Protestant church. Throughout the 1800s, the area would be heavily populated by both Irish and Polish immigrants and development would carry on well into the 20th century.

Today, the neighborhood remains a gateway neighborhood into the downtown and northern districts of St. Louis City.

Residents of Carr Square are served by the St. Louis Public School District.

Traditions

Murphy Park is a 10.10-acre park located in the upper portion of the neighborhood. Opened to the public in 1962, the park is heavy on concreate and stone landscaping. Amenities of the park include baseball fields, a basketball court and horseshoe pits.

Located in the southern region of Carr Square, Loretta Hill Park covers a total of 2.32 acres and was donated to the city by William C. Carr under the stipulation it was to be “forever used as a square”

Location

Community Contacts

Aldermen Tammika Hubbard – Ward 5 (314) 622-3287
Neighborhood Improvement Specialist Bernard Powderly – Ward 5 (314) 657-1366