The Central West End (CWE) is a St. Louis neighborhood bound by Delmar Boulevard to the north, Lindell Boulevard and I-64 to its southern region, Vandeventer to the east and Kingshighway and Union Boulevard to its west. It is represented by three aldermen – sitting in the 17th, 18th, and 28th Wards. Encompassing no more than 1.89 total square miles, its population, as of the 2010 census, was calculated at 14,473 residents. Famous residents of Central West End include playwright Tennessee Williams, American and Hungarian sculptor George Julian Zolnay and the homes of poet T.S. Eliot and beat writer William S. Burroughs.
Central West End’s history begins sometime during the late 18th century when the region was part of a Spanish land grant made to Madame Marie Louise Papin. She had a specific request for an area to farm on the banks of the River des Peres. Shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, her holding was surveyed and contained a full 2,720 acres of land. Towards the eastern portion of Kingshighway, the present area of Central West End was comprised of a sequence of extensive French farm land.
Urban expansion in the region began in the eastern portion of the land during the mid-1880s. The commercial district within the region began a rising development into the early 20th century thanks to the formation of neighboring suburban areas and travel routes. Throughout the area’s growth, streets carrying streetcar lines generated immense commercial strips and stores at each individual transfer section. Central West End began earning a reputation as a notable hotel center thanks to its geographical convenience to the city of St. Louis, being nearby major streets as well as the close proximity to Forest Park – a popular St. Louis destination after the 1904 World’s Fair.
Residents of Central West End are served by the St. Louis Public Schools district.
Opened to the public in 2007, Central West End’s Samuel Kennedy Park is located between Olive Street and Washington Avenue. Though often referred to as a pocket park, It has a large amount of landscaping and shaded resting spots.
Taylor Park opened in 2008 and was originally nothing more than a grassy field. The park includes a circular sidewalk bordered by benches, gazebo for a get-together as well as a large playground for preschoolers.
The World Chess Hall of Fame is a nonprofit, collection institution and the only one of its kind. It and offers programming to explore the relationship between art and chess as well as educational outreach initiatives that help provide context and meaning to the game. Founded in 1984, it is run by the United States Chess Trust. Formerly located in New York, Washington D.C. and even Miami … it moved to its current location within the Central West End in the fall of 2011.
|Aldermen||Joseph Roddy - Ward 17||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Terry Kennedy - Ward 18||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Heather Navarro - Ward 28||(314) 622-3287|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Ron Coleman - Ward 17||(314) 657-1361|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Shavette Wayne-Jones- Ward 18||(314) 657-1378|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Brian Kolde- Ward 28||(314) 657-1364|