Compton Heights is a St. Louis City neighborhood located in the central east region of the city and is bounded by fellow neighborhoods of The Gate at the north, Shaw towards the west, Fox Park near the east and Tower Grove East at the south. Its population, as of the 2010 census, is at 1,315 residents and the neighborhood covers nearly 0.28 total square miles. As of one of the earliest planned residential developments within the 19th century, the entire neighborhood of Compton Heights is recognized as a national historic district. The neighborhood is represented by three Aldermen sitting in the sixth, seventh and 19th Wards.
In the mid-18th century, the land covering present-day Compton Heights occupied a northwestern corner of what was originally known as the St. Louis Commons. As St. Louis City limits were expanded in the 1850s, the Compton Heights region, complete with its springs, rolling hills and limestone cropping, proved to be a hot commodity for several high-profile investors looking to plan new residential developments. In 1888, the Compton Hill Improvement Company was formed under 33 stakeholders and a $400,000 investment. Within two years, nearly almost of the investment had been spent in the expansion of street grading for each new lot as well as improving sewer, electric, water and gas utilities.
At the time, an exclusivity of the Compton Heights neighborhood allowed for the selling of lots with deed restrictions – a first for the state of Missouri. Those deed restrictions would later aid the consistency of Compton Heights during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s at a time when larger homes in other areas were turned into lodging spots.
Around 1940, the Compton Heights Improvement Association was formed to enforce the region’s deed restrictions and work in all neighborhood improvements.
Residents of Compton Heights are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Compton Height’s Compton Hill Reservoir Park includes two tennis courts, comfort stations, water fountains and the historic Compton Hill Water Tower. The water tower was constructed in 1898 and was a standpipe used to regulate water pressure in the city. Taken out of service in 1929, the Compton Hill Water Tower has been restored and offers tours on the first Saturday of every month.
The Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum of Compton Heights is the only one of its kind in St. Louis and one of 14 located throughout the entire country. The Karpeles Library is the world’s main private holding of original literature and science, religious, art and historic manuscripts & documents.
Built in 1908, the Magic Chef Mansion is one of St. Louis’ premiere old-world estates.
Compton Heights offers many activities in the neighborhood throughout the year including Oktoberfest and an Easter parade and egg hunt!
|Aldermen||Christine Ingrassia – Ward 6||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Jack Coatar – Ward 7||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Marlene Davis - Ward 19||(314) 622-3287|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Dena Hibbard – Ward 6 & 25||(314) 657-1359|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Sandy Colvin – Ward 7||(314) 657-1357|