Kingsway West is St. Louis City neighborhood located in the northern boundaries of the city. Surrounded by fellow St. Louis City neighborhoods of Mark Twain I-70 Industrial to the north, Academy to the south, Kingsway East to the eastern region and Wells-Goodfellow to the west, Kingsway West covers a total of 0.42 square miles. The neighborhood has a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of nearly 3,441 residents. It is represented by two Aldermen within the first and 26th Ward.
Unfortunately, not much is known in regards to the development of the neighborhood of Kingsway East. However, the major street of North Kingshighway Boulveard (which faces the eastern portion of Kingsway East) has tremendous history within the City of St. Louis. King’s Highway was the initial name of St. Charles Rock Road during the mid-19th century, but the rocky road’s moniker was eventually changed as a tribute to the many pioneers who travelled it to reach St. Charles from St. Louis. What we now known as North Kingshighway Boulevard was once said to be an Indian trail leading to a transit along the Missouri River. It was referred to as “King’s Road” or “King’s Trace” by the area’s earliest settlers during the mid-19th century.
However, Kingshighway Boulevard has spent much of its history stretching along sparingly established regions of St. Louis City. In fact, it wasn’t until 1876 that the road became a part of the City of St. Louis when the city’s border pressed in the western area of Grand Avenue. Near the planning of the 1904 World’s Fair, Kingshighway was chosen by city planners as a major facet for development and envisioned it to be the “longest and grandest boulevard in the entire world.”
Kingsway West is a mainly residential neighborhood that containing a wide mix of large single-family homes in addition to two-to-four family structures.
Residents of Kingsway West are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Sherman Park is located towards the lower western area of the Kingsway West neighborhood and covers a total of 22 acres of land. Opening to the public in 1917, the park contains a full playground, tennis courts, football field and a baseball field dedicated to former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher, Bob Gibson.
Another addition of Sherman Park includes the Wohl Community Center which houses an indoor swimming pool that remains open during the early spring to late fall.
Urban Café & Coffee Shop is a quaint drive-thru restaurant famous for its pork steaks, ribs and variety of delicious sandwiches.