Located in St. Louis County’s mid-county region, Maplewood is located not too far from Forest Park and includes many shops, coffee houses and restaurants along the area’s Historic Downtown Maplewood on Manchester Road. The area of Maplewood covers 1.56 total square miles and the population, as of the 2010 census, was 8,046.
Maplewood’s development began around the turn of the 20th century, and it is one of the very first suburbs developed outside of the St. Louis city limits. James Sutton, a well-known blacksmith of the area, had purchased 334 acres in 1826, and as years followed, he began accumulating more of the area that currently makes up the boundaries of Maplewood. The city began to develop a reputation of a bedroom community, or commuter town, thanks in part to its close proximity to the St. Louis streetcar lines. The town was christened Maplewood because maple trees dominated the tiny town. In fact, the majority of Maplewood has a woodland nod as many of its main streets are named after shrubs and trees, like Elm, Hazel, Vine, Flora, Arbor and Maple.
Most of Maplewood’s historic residential areas were built during the early 1900s and the vast majority of the homes remain because they are so well-preserved. Maplewood would be officially incorporated in 1908 with roughly 4,000 people living within the community. The population would grow as decades would follow with over 14,000 residents residing in Maplewood near the end of 1949.
Residents of Maplewood are served by the Maplewood Richmond Heights School District.