Richmond Heights is a city located in St. Louis County with a total land area of 2.30 square miles. Bounded by Interstate 170, Interstate 64 and U.S. Route 40, it’s a perfect place for its 8,603 residents – as of the 2010 census – to call home while venturing and exploring the city of St. Louis. The city gets its name from American general Robert E. Lee who said the topography of the area reminded him of Richmond, Virginia.
In some respects, many consider Richmond Heights to be one of the earliest suburbs outside of the city of St. Louis. As the city was developing, many small communities within the area of Richmond Heights were as well. These small communities would quietly thrive throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries as a region that held only 18 families. The 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair significantly impacted the area’s growth and development.
With all the technological advances that the World’s Fair promised, small wonder the event sparked an immense interest in real estate in St. Louis. The city added extensive streetcar lines to provide direct service to the fair site. A sizeable number of homes, both in and around the region of Richmond Heights, were built using recovered materials from the demolition of properties assembled specifically for the World’s Fair.
With all of the good will brought to the area thanks to the World’s Fair, residents felt the time was right to incorporate their community. On December 29th, 1913, the city of Richmond Heights was officially incorporated with a population size, at the time, of 500 residents.
Residents of Richmond Heights are served by several public-school districts including the Maplewood-Richmond Heights, Clayton, Ladue and Brentwood School Districts.
Two shopping areas of St. Louis, the Saint Louis Galleria and the Boulevard, are located in Richmond Heights. The Galleria, built in 1984, covers more than 1,200,000 square feet of total retail space and is anchored by Dillard’s, Macy’s and one of only two Nordstrom stores in St. Louis. The Boulevard has a distinct European “village” feel to its shopping area and includes a mixture of both retail, office and living space.
Popular St. Louis root beer company Fitz’s had its 1947 origins located on Brentwood Blvd in Richmond Heights. Originally a drive-in hamburger stand, the original trademark sodas were sold alongside hamburgers and fries. The initial Richmond Heights location closed in 1970, but reopened in the early 1990s in a new building with vintage bottling equipment located in the Delmar Loop.
Another St. Louis county attraction listed on the National Register of Historic Places is the Dr. Samuel A. Bassett Office Building, located on Big Bend. Designed by Washington University trained architect Edouard Mutrux in 1938, the building has been occupied by law firms since the 1940s.
|Mayor of Richmond Heights||
|Current City Council Members||
|Deputy City Clerk||Patricia Villmer||(314) 645-4595|
|City Attorney||Kenneth Heinz||(314) 725-8788|
|Court Clerk||Tami Trulove||(314) 645-1982|
|Municipal Judge||Stephen O’Brien||(314) 645-1982 ex. 3|
|Building & Zoning Commissioner||
|Director of Parks and Recreation||
|Public Works Director||
|Community Relations Coordinator||
|Richmond Heights Fire Department||(314) 645-8800|
|Richmond Heights Police Department||(314) 655-3630|