Shrewsbury is a city located in St. Louis County with Webster Groves, Mackenzie and Affton being the region’s closest neighbors. As of the 2010 census, the population of Shrewsbury was 6,254. Stretching across 1.43 square miles, Shrewsbury has instant access to downtown St. Louis with the widely traversed Interstate 44. The broadcast towers of KSDK Newschannel 5 and ABC 30 are located in the heart of Shrewsbury.
Shrewsbury was officially platted in 1889, by owners Gregorie Sarpy and Charles Gratiot who were famous fur traders during the American Revolution. They eventually divided the area into farms and sold off regions of the land to families.
By 1913, an organization known as the Shrewsbury Improvement Association was founded by resident Joseph Burge. The association greenlighted a sewer system and eventually incorporated the village. Burge, a vocal and concerned member of the Shrewsbury community, convinced the community to install a sanitation system, which combatted frequent water-based diseases of that time.
In 1938, the United States Government offered financial aid and supplemental land to Shrewsbury to build a City Hall and to implement city parks and a municipal pool. The loan also covered the construction of Interstate 44.
Residents of Shrewsbury are served by the Affton and Webster Groves school districts.