University City

University City is a city located within the mid-county region of St. Louis County and is one of the oldest in St. Louis history with many of its historic architecture as a streetcar suburb during the late 19th and 20th century remaining in the southern portion of the city. Covering over 5.90 square miles, University City’s total population as of the 2010 census gathered at 35,371. Some of University City’s most famous residents include playwright Tennessee Williams, former St. Louis Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock, Back to Future screenwriter Bob Gale, and multi-platinum selling rapper Nelly.

During the late 1800s, the area that is now U. City had humble beginnings as small farming communities and dirt roads. Shortly after the turn of the century, homes and attractions like the Delmar Garden Amusement Park on Delmar Boulevard and the All Saint Church off Olive were constructed and gave way to laying the groundwork on further development for the city. One of the more signature pieces was the Delmar streetcar that looped through the southern portion of the Delmar Garden Amusement Park before routing all the way back downtown.

Shortly thereafter, famous publisher Edward Gardner Lewis purchased 85 acres of surrounding land in 1903 which he had envisioned to be the center piece of his publishing complex for Woman’s Farm Journal and Woman’s Magazine. Most of University City’s historic buildings, such as the City Hall building, were constructed by Lewis with the intention of being facilities for his enterprise.

University City would be officially incorporated three years later in 1906 and Lewis would be appointed the city’s very first mayor. With the city being in such close proximity to Washington University, Lewis determined the name “University City” solidified the notion of the community being a center piece and mixture for learning and culture.

Residents of University City with children are served by the School District of University City.

University City Official Website

 

 

Recent Listings in University City