Located in the mid-county region of St. Louis County is the city of Webster Groves. It covers a total area across 5.90 square miles and is surrounded by the neighboring cities of Shrewsbury, Maplewood, Crestwood, and Affton. As of the 2010 census, the population of Webster Groves was at 22,995.
In the early 20th century, the region of Webster Groves was known as the “Dry Ridge” to the Dakota, Osage and Dakota Indians who once inhabited the land. Originally a part of the Louisiana Territory, the region changed ownership from Spanish to French and a system came into fruition that was highlighted to promote immigration. Thanks to this system, Grégoire Sarpy was granted more than 6,000 acres of land by the Spanish Lieutenant governor that covered a vast majority of the current Webster Groves area.
Its convenient location near the Pacific Railroad line played a huge role with the area’s expansion into a suburb of five separate communities and late 19th century St. Louis residents were looking to move away from the overcrowded, congested city areas. The five communities of Old Orchard, Selma, Tuxedo Park, Webster, Webster Park all merged in 1896 and were to be incorporated as Webster Groves further developing a more unified city government.
Residents of Webster Groves with children attending school are served by the Webster Groves School District.