Normandy is a city located in northern St. Louis County with a population of 5,008, as of the 2010 census. Nearly 20 minutes west of Downtown St. Louis via Interstate 70, some of Normandy’s most important roads for the community include Florissant Road, Natural Bridge Road and Bermuda Drive. The city encompasses 1.85 square miles of land.
The current region of Normandy has history dating back to the earliest 19th century as land that was once owned by Charles Lucas. Lucas was a famous entrepreneur and legislator in Missouri who obtained property from land grants from the federal government, as well as buying land from victims in the wake of the New Madrid earthquake of 1811. He named this rural area Normandy, which served as tribute to the French coastal region of the same name, as well as being the area where his father, John Baptise Charles Lucas, was born.
Charles Lucas passed at the age of 25 in 1817 after partaking in a duel with U.S. Senator Thomas Benton. The two were attorneys on opposing sides of an extremely heated court case. Both Lucas and Benton accused one another of cheating and after Benton insulted Lucas, Lucas challenged him to a duel on Bloody Island near the Mississippi River where the two were heavily injured, but safe from fatal injuries. A rematch the following month proved to be deadly for both, as injuries from the duel ended the lives of both men.
Upon Charles’ death, the land of Normandy was left to his brother James and sister Anne. Anne would eventually marry explorer Wilson Hunt, which lead to the building of the historic Hunt Home on Natural Bridge in 1908. This, along with the historic Glen Echo Country Club built in 1901, would help turn the corner in Normandy experiencing population growth for the next several years. The area would be incorporated as the city of Normandy in the spring of 1945.
What started merely as countryside communities expanded by the end of the 21st century with new subdivisions, businesses and schools. Residents of Normandy are served by the Normandy and Ferguson-Florissant School Districts.
Realizing a need for high education at an affordable cost, Normandy’s residents helped in the establishment of the University of Missouri – St. Louis (UMSL) which stretches across the municipalities of Normandy, Bel-Nor and Bellerive. Established in 1960, the university was ranked 103rd among national universities in the 2016 U.S. News & World Report college rankings.
The aforementioned Glen Echo Country Club is the oldest and first 18-hole course west of the Mississippi. Comprised of 138 acres, the club was designed by the 1896 U.S. Open winner James Foulis. It opened in the spring of 1901 and hosted the golf events for the 1904 Summer Olympics.
Located in Normandy’s St. Vincent Park is the St. Vincent Community Center and Water Park. The community center includes a multi-purpose gymnasium, open workout area and large room rentals that are perfect for business meetings or get-togethers. The water park is open to all Metro St. Louis area residents from May 27th to August 5th and is famous for its two 25-yard lap swimming lanes.
|Mayor of Normandy||
||(314) 385-3300 ex. 3017|
|Current City Council Members||
|Office Manager / City Clerk / Court Administrator||
||(314) 385-3300 ex. 3014|
|Deputy City Clerk / Sanitation||Kathy Tracy||(314) 385-3300|
|Municipal Judge||Jennifer Fisher||(314) 333-3204|
|Director of Public Works||
|Treasurer||Charles Ellis||(314) 385-3300|
|Normandy Police Department||(314) 385-3300 ex. 3018|