Surrounded by the cities of Hazelwood, Florissant and Ferguson and south of Interstate 270 is the city of Calverton Park. Encompassing no more than 0.41 total square miles of land, the city’s population, as of the 2010 census, was 1,293. Calverton Park has a population density of nearly 3,153.7 inhabitants per square mile with 496 households and approximately 347 families residing in the village.
Much of the city’s history prior and shortly after its 1940 incorporation is unknown. However, the city is recognized for the St. Louis county landmark of the January-Harper House, built in 1840, being located in the central portion of Calverton Park. The January-Harper House is a one-story home built in a traditional Federal style with two rooms.
The land on which the house was built was patented by land owner Coleman Rogers and was eventually sold to Kentucky senator, Henry Clay. Upon purchasing the land, Clay eventually resold to the land to a Jacksonville, Illinois native Thomas January.
Upon arrival to Missouri, Thomas January and his brother Derick began construction on both a railroad line that would lead to Meredosia, Illinois and what is now referred to as the January-Harper house. It earned the “Harper” distinction when the property was eventually sold to Andrew Harper, a flourishing businessman, in 1845. Although the house has continuously been utilized for single family use, there was a brief period in the 1960s when the house was converted into apartment use.
Residents of Calverton Park are served by the Ferguson-Florissant School District.