One of the smaller municipalities in St. Louis County is the village of Glen Echo Park. With a population of 160 residents, as of the 2010 census, and making up a total land area of no more than 0.03 square miles, the village consists of two streets, Henderson Road and St Andrews Place, and backs up to Glen Echo Country Club, a private 18-hole golf course. Lucas & Hunt Road and Natural Bridge Road are two major roads important to the community.
The initial subdivision plat of Glen Echo Park was laid out in the summer of 1906. Located north of the Glen Echo Country Club and west of Lucas & Hunt Road, it initially consisted of five blocks with a sum of 42 lots. This subdivision was one of the first to be prearranged with an exclusive relationship toward a golf course in the Glen Echo Country Club.
Opened in 1901, the club was one of the first golf courses of an exclusive stature west of the Mississippi. Designed by 1896 U.S. Open Championship winner, James Foulis, the club held only one Olympic golf tournament three years after opening in 1904.
Members of the club organized the Country Club Real Estate company in 1905, and eventually purchased land that makes up current day Glen Echo Park from popular husband and wife realty team John and Jessie Oehler.
The original 1906 plat labeled the region’s streets as private, and, at the time, no lot was allowed to sell for any less than $2,000. A majority of lot owners were also members of the Glen Echo Country Club. The region also acquired the name of Glen Echo Park, in homage to its neighboring golf course, shortly after 1906.
Residents of Glen Echo Park are served by the Normandy School District.