The Village of Riverview is located in North St Louis County, nearly 20 minutes north of the city of St. Louis. With a population of 2,856, at the time of the 2010 census, Riverview has a total area of 0.83 square miles. Notable roads for the village include Lilac Drive, Chambers Road, Diamond Drive and Valley Drive.
Many believe the origin of the region has a lot to do with its location on the principal road in between St. Louis and what was an 18th century Spanish fort developed by Captain Rios. He named the fort “Don Carlos Tercero Del Rey” as a tribute to the heir to the Spanish throne. Built in 1786, it was suspended twenty years later in 1806 by Fort Bellefontaine, founded by James Wilkinson, an American governor of the newly purchased Louisiana Territory.
The road to the fort later became known as Bellefontaine Road, which was named North Broadway within the city of St. Louis’ limits of 1876. Before its title as Bellefontaine Road, it was called the “Great Trail,” running northwest from St. Louis to the Missouri River. Originally, it was made up of two roads near the current region of Baden, with a lower road running through the bottom land near the Mississippi and an upper road which traversed the top of a region that later became the Bellefontaine and Calvary cemeteries
Throughout the 19th and 20th century, the current area of Riverview extended west from the river and beyond the current city limits of St. Louis. The area had many notable landowners at the time including the first Mayor of St. Louis, William C. Lane. In the early 1890s, there was a rejuvenation of subdivision activity within a regulated scale as subdivisions which now contained most of the houses on the bluff side of current-day Riverview Gardens were platted in 1917 and 1919.
The area began to experience population growth within the 1940s and 1950s before it was incorporated as a village under the name of “Riverview” in 1950. The region hit a peak population of 3,741 residents in 1970.
Residents of Riverview are served by the public Riverview Gardens School District.
|Village of Riverview Chairman||Steve Paro||(314) 868-0700|
|Board of Trustees||
Craig W. Boehmer
|Village Clerk / Collector||
||(314) 868-0700 ex. 10|
|Village Attorney||Christopher B. Graville||(636) 778-9810|
|Municipal Judge||W. Christopher McDonough||(636) 530-1815|
|Court Clerk||Sarah Jurgena||(314) 868-0700|
|Public Works Director||Phil Crimi||(314) 868-7120|
|Building Commissioner||Danny Fraley||(314) 868-0700|