Surrounded by the St. Louis City neighborhood of Carondelet by the north, the St. Louis County municipalities of Lemay and Bella Villa at the south and west and the Mississippi River towards the east is the Patch neighborhood. Much like many of the communities within the south city location, Patch is a historic region with three Historic Districts (the Carondelet/East of Broadway District, the Steins Street District and the St. Boniface District) all located within the neighborhood. As the 2010 census, Patch’s population was recorded at 2,695 residents and the neighborhood covers a total of 1.02 square miles. It is represented by one Alderman sitting in the 11th Ward.
The space that makes up present-day area of the Patch neighborhood was originally included as a section of a large village founded in 1767 known as the Carondelet Village. When the region was laid out, the land was mainly used for cattle grazing for nearby villages. By 1870, the City of St. Louis had annexed Carondelet Village and gave way to the development of the region as the city’s current-day Carondelet neighborhood.
The region has a tremendous German influenced touch thanks in part to Joseph Stein, a German immigrant who settled into the region in 1843 and acquired a hefty lot within the original Carondelet Village. Building a variety of large stone houses, he was so impressed with the area’s potential that he persuaded several Germans to settle within the area that came to be known as Patch. In fact, many of those initial immigrants were honored as street names during the area’s development with notable examples including Koeln Avenue, East Steines Street, Espenschied Street and more.
Residents of Patch are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Within Patch’s three historical districts lay several loca buildings like the 1850-built Henry Zeiss Stone House located on Vulcan Street, the 1851-built Steines Street and the 1858 constructed Joseph Otzenberger House.
Patch is also home to two city parks located within the centralized portion of the neighborhood. Dating back to as early as 1882, St. Louis Square Park is a nearly two-acre park surrounded by both commercial and residential buildings. It has plenty of green space, a playground for the kiddies and iron clad monuments of Civil War tokens.
Triangular in size, Fanetti Plaza was put into ordinance in 1979 and was named in tribute after Donald L. Fanetti after his passing in 1977. Covering about 1.70 acres of land, it is located near Ivory Theater, a venue to catch musicals, dramas & comedies with live music & cabaret performances.
Some places to catch food and drinks within the neighborhood of Patch include Stacked STL, Bently’s Pub & Grub, the Halfway Haus and Tuckers Bar & Grill.