Princeton Heights is a neighborhood located in the south city region of St. Louis City and has a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of 7,618 residents. Bordered by the St. Louis City neighborhoods of Southhampton towards the north, Holly Hills to the east, St. Louis Hills to west and the historic River des Peres at the south, the neighborhood covers a total of 0.83 total square miles. Princeton Heights is represented by four Aldermen sitting in the 12th, 13th, 14th and 16th Wards respectively.
With history dating back to the earliest 18th century, Princeton Heights is one of the oldest established St. Louis City neighborhoods. The “Princeton” name has a long lineage of antiquity in the region as the neighborhood earned its moniker from old deeds entitled the “Prince Place Addition.” Present-day Princeton Heights generally served as land traveled upon by trekkers headed to and from the Downtown region of St. Louis. In 1804, Gravois Avenue, which adjoins the western boundaries of the neighborhood, initially served as a path to a salt spring and ferry around the stretch of present-day St. Louis County municipality Fenton. Nearly three decades later, a State legislature act enforced Gravois Avenue to become a state road and was paved with a macadam, single-sized crushed stone layers of small angular stones, road construction.
In the early 1900s, Princeton Heights, which was for a brief period known as Gardenville, was mainly a farmland of produce farmers who grew goods to be shipped several miles away to the Soulard Market or to be sold at stops throughout various neighborhoods. As the City of St. Louis grew, these farmlands were eventually replaced by housing developments. Many subdivisions materialized during the massive urban sprawl of the 20th century and like its nearest neighborhoods, Princeton Heights’ architectural style was motivated by American craftsman style bungalows and Arts and Crafts movement-inspired masonry. As both residential and commercial areas developed throughout the 1930s, many of the streets for present-day Princeton Heights were laid out.
Residents of Princeton Heights are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Christy Park is the neighborhood’s single park area and sits in the upper most northern portion of Princeton Heights. Opening to the public in 1910, the park earns its name from Laclede-Christy Fire Brick Company founder, William Christy. Beginning at the intersection of Christy and South Kingshighway Boulevard, the park covers 16.10 total acres of land and includes two playgrounds, baseball fields, several benches and plenty of green space!
Gatewood Gardens Cemetery, acquired by the City of St. Louis in 1996, is a large burial ground with history dating back to 1832 when it was developed by a group of German immigrants.
Got a music lover in your life? Founded in 1977, the Record Exchange is one of the largest vinyl collection stores in all of America. With almost 10,000 square feet in residential space and filled to the wall with records, CDs, cassettes as well as DVDs, VHS tapes and even Laserdiscs … there’s something to find at Record Exchange for everyone!
|Aldermen||Larry Arnowitz – Ward 12||(314) 622-3287|
Beth Murphy – Ward 13
|Aldermen||Carol Howard – Ward 14||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Tom Oldenburg – Ward 16||(314) 896-0204|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Kathy Savage – Ward 12||(314) 657-1362|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Andrew Hernandez – Ward 13||(314) 657-1368|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Christy Boyd – Ward 14 and 23||(314) 657-1377|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Christian Saller – Ward 16||(314) 657-1375|