Rock Hill is a city located in St. Louis County whose neighboring cities include Ladue, Webster Groves, Warson Woods and Brentwood. Its population as of the 2010 census, was 4,635 and the total area covers more than 1.09 square miles.
James Coliier Marshall, a merchant and farmer from Maryland, founded Rock Hill when he purchased 500-acres of land, 11 miles west of St. Louis. He established a stage coach stop and trading post with his siblings in 1832. A few years after settling the area, the family established the region’s first post office, community hall and school. The family farmed the land and shaped it into a nice little community for James’ family and friends. James married Elizabeth McCausland in 1841 and built the Fairfax, a weatherboard home that served as the main housing complex for the Marshall family.
As generations continued to inhabit the area, the community incorporated as a village in 1929.Several years later, the village integrated more of a common form of mayor-alderman style of government, which led to the village voting to be incorporated as a city in 1947.
Residents of Rock Hill are served by the Webster Groves School District.
Trainwreck Saloon, in business since 1890, is Rock Hill’s trademark tavern and the oldest operated bar in all of St. Louis County. It is one of the premier examples of a piece of 19th century history, still in operation.
Rock Hill is home to six city parks within its region. Greenwood Park, Hensley Park, Oakhaven Park, Oak Trail, Stroup Fields and Whitefield Park all call the city of Rock Hill home.
The Rock Hill Public Library dates back to 1944. It was located on the second floor of the Fairfax, and was only open two days a week. The library moved in 1957 to the former building of the Lion’s Club, an international and non-political service organization. Development in the new millennium would force the library to move, and a newly renovated 4,456 square-foot space on Manchester Road is now its now permanent home.
|Mayor of Rock Hill||
|Board of Aldermen Members||
James Killion IV
|City Clerk / Court Administrator||
|City Attorney||Paul Martin||(314) 961-0097|
|Municipal Judge||Mark Levitt||(314) 920-5330|
|Streets Superintendent||Ron Meyer||(314) 968-1410 ex. 8016|
|Parks and Recreation Director||Al Hayden||(314) 561-4304|
|Code Enforcement / Zoning Compliance||Garrett Schlett||(314) 561-4303|
|Rock Hill Fire Department||(314) 962-6252|
|Rock Hill Police Department||(314) 962-6600|