Located in southern St. Louis County near the municipalities of Bella Villa and fellow unincorporated areas Affton and Mehlville is Lemay. As of the 2010 census, Lemay’s population was recorded at 16,645 residents. The city covers a total of 4.5 total square miles making it the fifth largest unincorporated region in all of St. Louis county.
The history of the region begins much earlier than even the development of St. Louis. The French were the first European inhabitants in what is now current-day Lemay. As early as 1700, French missionaries established a village at the convergence of the Mississippi River and River Des Peres. Through these French settlers is how the River Des Peres name of “river of the fathers” came into fruition. One of the area’s more popular roads in “Lemay Ferry” began development in 1789 when had its beginnings in 1789 when Spanish settlers needed a road to unite St. Louis to a ferry situated by the Meramec River.
The actual name of Lemay comes Francois Lemai who helped operate the ferry service for crossing the Meramec River. As far as is known, the first time “Lemay” was used, as a place name was when the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad built a Lemay station, completed by 1909. As late as 1930, names such as Luxemburg, Dewey Heights, Longwood and Point Breeze were often used to name the region interchangeably.
In 1930, Naborhood Link News was established with the purpose of linking these scattered neighborhoods into one community. In 1936, with the opening of the Lemay Branch of the U.S. Post Office, “Lemay” was officially applied to the entire community. Since its inception, Lemay has functioned without a local government.
Residents of Lemay are served by the Hancock Place School District.