Marlborough is a village located in southern St. Louis County with a population of 2,179 at the time of the 2010 census. Marlborough was incorporated as a village in 1944, and while neighboring cities may have moved on to city incorporation throughout the years, Marlborough continues to operate within a village status.
A notable stop within Marlborough was the Coral Court Motel along historic Route 66, which remained a regional historic landmark for several years. It was established and open to the public in 1942 by John Carr during the United States’ post-World War II mobilization efforts. John Carr was a Pennsylvania native who was born in 1901, and moved to the St. Louis area in his 20s. He eventually arrived to St. Louis county with his wife Jessie in 1939, and acquired the property for the motel in late 1940.
The Coral Court was popular among travelers on Route 66 and was one of the most expanded motels in Missouri, with 66 total rooms during the 1940s. Three two-story buildings were added near the back of the property in 1953, and a swimming pool was installed in the 1960s. It would close its door officially in 1993, but was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
John Carr was a savvy businessman who could be described as quiet, but incredibly effective. Bill Bjoe, a native of Sunset Hills, describes John Carr in the book Tales from the Coral Court: Photos and Stories from a Lost Route 66 Landmark as a “tall thin man … never real talkative … but when he did talk, he always meant what he said.” When the Coral Court opened in 1942, Carr and some colleagues helped in establishing the community of Marlborough, which centered around the motel. At the time, the region was no more than one-fourth of a square mile. John would serve as Marlborough’s Treasurer until his untimely death in 1984.
Residents of Marlborough are served by the Affton School District.