[PHOTOS COMING SOON]
McKinley Heights is a neighborhood and historic district located in the central eastern portion of St. Louis City. Bounded by the neighborhoods of Lafayette Square at the north, Benton Park at the south, Soulard towards the east and Compton Heights and Fox Park towards the west, McKinley Heights covers a total of 0.22 square miles of land. At the time of the 2010 census, its population was recorded at nearly 1,497 residents. The neighborhood is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the seventh and ninth Wards respectively.
With origins dating back to 1848, all of the McKinley Heights Neighborhood was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in early 1984.Roughly 90 percent of the entire neighborhood’s buildings are residential and were built during 1900 to 1915. McKinley Heights was initially part of a short-lived region named the Petit Prairie of the St. Louis Commons and saw a real developmental phase during the summer of 1848 with the addition of two subdivisions Devolsey and Kingsbury. This came right during a boom of German-born immigrants settling within the northern and southern sides of the area. Within two years, almost half of the city’s residents were of German descent.
As the early 20th century approached, several of the neighborhood’s landmarks went into fruition, such as McKinley Classical Academy school building, designed by famous St. Louis architect William B. Ittner in 1902. It went on to be recognized as the first St. Louis high school on the city’ then-most southern region. The neighborhood also experienced a rise in the amount of brick-multifamily buildings constructed by several of the neighborhood’s German residents.
Residents of McKinkley Heights are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Located in the northern region of McKinley Heights is the Four Seas Banquet Facility. It houses a 14-foot ceiling with drapes and a terrazzo floor.
Nicknamed the “Halloween Headquarters”, the world-famous 30,000 square foot Johnnie Brock’s Dungeon is the largest party and costume warehouse within the City of St. Louis. A family owned business with history dating back to 1929, it initially began as a retail gift store owned by former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher, Jonnie Brock. After his passing in 1951, the Brock family formulated a new family endeavor and opened St. Louis’ leading costume and party supply shop, now a third-generation run business.