The neighborhood of Lewis Place is located in the central western portion of the City of St. Louis and has a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of 1,673 residents. Surrounded by the St. Louis City neighborhoods of the Central West End, Vandeventer, Fountain Park and the Ville, Lewis Place occupies an overall land space of nearly 0.33 total square miles. Placed into the National Register of Historic Places in the fall of 1980, it is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the fourth and 18th Wards respectively.
Initially laid out in the late 19th century, Lewis Place bears history as one of the eldest African-American private streets within the City of St. Louis. The area was privately owned and expanded upon by the family of William J. Lewis, a former U.S. Representative from Virginia who passed in 1828, and it’s from William Lewis that inspiration of the name “Lewis Place” originated. The regional boundaries of Lewis Place established in 1890, merely a three-block street and center parkway aligned with residential homes on the side, have remained consistent throughout the neighborhood’s lifetime.
Residents of Lewis Place are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Since 1959, Beckett Playground has been the staple Lewis Place community park for residents of all ages to relax and enjoy a game of basketball, baseball or spend some time with the young ones on the playground.
A popular historical landmark of the neighborhood includes the Lewis Place Historical Gate. Designed in 1894 by local St. Louis architect company Barnett, Haynes and Barnett, it remains the most notable landmark image for the neighborhood.