Located in the central western portion of the City of St. Louis is the neighborhood of West End. Though located in the same region and bearing a similar name, the area has no real connection to the Central West End. West End’s boundaries are defined by Page Avenue at the north, Delmar Boulevard towards the south, Union Boulevard to the east and the city limits towards the west.
West End’s population, at the time of the 2010 census, is calculated at nearly 6,574 residents. The neighborhood covers nearly 1.02 total square miles of land and includes zip codes 63112 and 63130. It is represented by three aldermen sitting in the 22nd, 26th and 28th Wards. Two landmarks that define West End’s development origins are the West Cabanne Place District and the Emmanuel DeHodiamont House.
The West Cabanne Place District dates back as early as 1888 when its main street, West Cabanne, was platted as a private street including many “Shingle Style” houses. This design was defined as a new “American” architectural fashion that remained popular throughout the later portion of the 1800s. Notable St. Louis architects and entrepreneurs, such as Theodore Link and Charles Ramsey, were super influential in the area’s settlement as they purchased several lots and built large homes that quickly defined the region. In 1979, the West Cabanne Place District was named a National Register of Historic Places designated district.
Located in the western portion of the neighborhood is the Emmanuel DeHodiamont House which, along with the Lewis Bissell House in the College Hill neighborhood, is one of the oldest residencies within the City of St. Louis. Constructed in 1830 by a local farmer Emmanuel DeHodiamont, it is the oldest privately-owned building in all of St. Louis. He continued to live and farm around the area until 1871 when he sold the house and any adjacent farming land to speculators.
The house is significant for being one of the earliest stone-built residences and one of the first in the region to relish in the “Gothic Revival” style of architecture when it was modified in 1875. It was listed as a St. Louis Landmark in the summer of 1966 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Residents of West End are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Covering nearly three acres, Parkland Park is a colorful park that opened to the public in 1968 and resembles a snapshot in time of popular park layouts during the late 1960s and 1970s. Forted concrete walls create a private playground feel for the park.
Named after Baron Jeffrey Amherst, a British army officer during the French and Indian War, Amherst Park is the largest within West End’s boundaries covering almost four and a half acres of land. Opening in 1970, the park has large open space and walking trails.
|Aldermen||Jeffrey Boyd – Ward 22|
|Aldermen||Frank Williamson – Ward 26|
|Aldermen||Heather Navarro – Ward 28|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Patricia Jackson - Ward 22|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Jo Ann Rankins-Cannon - Ward 26|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Brian Kolde - Ward 28|