Located in the northern region of St. Louis City is the historical neighborhood of College Hill. Bordered by portions of the neighborhoods of North Riverfront and Near North Riverfront at its north and east, Fairgrounds at the south and Greater Ville towards the west, College Hill covers a total of 0.39 square miles. At the time of the 2010 census, the neighborhood’s population was recorded at 1,871 residents. It is represented by three Aldermen sitting in the second, third and 21st Wards.
The region earned the name of College Hill as it served as the initial college farming area for St. Louis University and was used for gardening purposes in 1836 until being subdivided in the early 1870s. Much like its initial origin as a farmland, its settlement was primarily large farm estates owned by famous local residents such as John O’Fallon, Lewis Bissell and Edward Hempstead. Its City of St. Louis inclusion in 1876 helped the region expand its limits.
Today, the residential portion of College Hill neighborhood consists of housing developments constructed between 1880 and 1920. Two and four family flats are the primary complexes within the neighborhood with a mixture of single family brick dwellings.
Residents of College Hill are served by the St. Louis Public School District.