[PHOTOS COMING SOON]
Surrounded by fellow north St. Louis City neighborhoods of Kingsway East, Academy, Lewis Place and the Central West End is the neighborhood of Fountain Park. Covering no more than 0.24 total square miles, Fountain Park has a population, at the time of 2010 census, of 1,484 residents. It is represented by one Aldermen within the 18th Ward. The neighborhood gets its name from the city park located in the heart of the neighborhood that was donated to the city in 1889 … but more on that neighborhood landmark later!
Platted in 1857, Fountain Park, originally founded as Aubert Place, featured a large ornamental center park for the use of lot owners. Further development of the Fountain Park neighborhood advanced in the late 1890s as the region experienced an immense real estate boom period. The neighborhood is significant as an early, planned residential development thanks in part for the cohesion of its architecture conceived by several prominent St. Louis and midwestern architectural firms. Prior smaller development occurred before the 1890s when the neighborhood’s Fountain Park and an elaborate fountain center piece were completed by the city.
Almost overnight, Fountain Park was renovated into a middle-class neighborhood with several homes, trails intersecting the neighborhood’s new park as well a new commercial building complex. Around the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, the neighborhood was a community of retailers, small business owners, laborers and several other occupational professionals.
Residents of Fountain Park are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Fountain Park is a one-and-a-half-acre park and is one of the City of St. Louis’ oldest public spaces. Initially established in 1857 during the time of the then-Aubert Place neighborhood, the immense fountain within the middle of the park is what helped establish both the park and the neighborhood’s moniker. The Martin Luther King, Jr. statue was erected in the park in 1978.