JeffVanderLou is a neighborhood located in the northern region of the City of St. Louis. Bordered by fellow St. Louis City neighborhoods of Fairgrounds to the north, Midtown to the south, St. Louis Place and Carr Square to the east and the Ville, Grand Center and Vandeventer to the west. The neighborhood covers a total of 1.25 square miles. As of the 2010 census, JeffVanderLou’s population was recorded at 5,557 residents. It is represented by five Aldermen sitting in the third, fourth, fifth, 18th and 19th Wards respectively.
Originally known as the Yeatman neighborhood since its earliest development in the late 19th century, the name change of JeffVanderLou was put into place sometime in the 1960s. The area earned its older name from James E. Yeatman, a prominent 19thh century St. Louis native. Yeatman, who arrived in St. Louis from Tennessee in 1842, established the first Missouri branch of the Nashville Iron House. In 1846, he was one of the the founders of the Mercantile Library Association and, in 1850, entered the commission business. Ten years later, Yeatman became president of the Merchants Bank and headed the Western Sanitary Commission, an agency set up to care for wounded Union Army soldiers during the Civil War. After the war, he continued as head of Merchant Bank which later became known as the Merchants-Laclede National Bank.
Original land divisions in the Yeatman Area included portions of several surveys which were based upon colonial land grants. By the early 1850s, the surveys had been subdivided into tracts whose principal owners included notable residents, Clement B. Penrose, G. W. Goode, Henry Stoddard, A. R. Easton, William Glasgow, Jr. and Daniel D. Page.
The region earned its JeffVanderLou nickname to give the neighborhood a more localized feel coming about from the streets of Jefferson Avenue and Vandeventer Avenue which serve as the neighborhood’s eastern and western boundaries.
Residents of JeffVanderLou are served by the St. Louis Public School District.