Located in the northern boundaries of the City of St. Louis is the Kingsway East neighborhood. With a total population, at the time of the 2010 census, of 3,542 residents, Kingsway East covers a total of no more than 0.49 square miles. The neighborhood is bounded by fellow St. Louis City neighborhoods of Penrose towards the north, Fountain Park to the south, the Ville to the east and Kingsway West at the west. It is represented by four Aldermen sitting in the first, fourth, 18th and 21st Wards respectively.
Unfortunately, not much is known in regards to the development of the neighborhood of Kingsway East. However, the major street of North Kingshighway Boulveard (which faces the western portion of Kingsway East) has tremendous history within the City of St. Louis. King’s Highway was the initial name of St. Charles Rock Road during the mid-19th century, but the rocky road’s moniker was eventually changed as a tribute to the many pioneers who travelled it to reach St. Charles from St. Louis. What we now known as North Kingshighway Boulevard was once said to be an Indian trail leading to a transit along the Missouri River. It was referred to as “King’s Road” or “King’s Trace” by the area’s earliest settlers during the mid-19th century.
However, Kingshighway Boulevard has spent much of its history stretching along sparingly established regions of St. Louis City. In fact, it wasn’t until 1876 that the road became a part of the City of St. Louis when the city’s border pressed in the western area of Grand Avenue.
Mainly a residential neighborhood, Kingsway East’s housing is a mixture of multi-unit apartment complexes, small frame cottages and brick bungalows. Several of the brick homes were built in the early 20th century while the small frame homes found throughout the neighborhood date back to the region’s earliest time as a farming community.
Residents of Kingsway East are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
The nearly 12-acre Handy Park can be found within the upper region of the Kingsway East neighborhood. Although it opened to the public in 1941, it was dedicated and renamed to Handy Park in the summer of 1960 as a tribute to the celebrated author of “St. Louis Blues”, William Christopher Handy. The park houses a 3/4 mile walking trail, athletic fields, basketball courts, horseshoe pits and four baseball fields.
|Aldermen||Sharon Tyus – Ward 1||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Samuel Moore – Ward 4||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Terry Kennedy – Ward 18||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||John Collins-Muhammad – Ward 21||(314) 622-3287|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Judy Lane – Ward 1||(314) 657-1365|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Larry Isom – Ward 4||(314) 657-1376|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Shavette Wayne-Jones – Ward 18||(314) 657-1378|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Sharie Taylor – Ward 21||(314) 657-1390|