O’Fallon is a neighborhood located in the northern region of the City of St. Louis. The neighborhood is one of three major destinations within the state of Missouri and Illinois to bear the name of O’Fallon as a tribute to local businessman John O’Fallon … but more on him later! It covers nearly 0.59 total square miles and is bordered by the neighborhoods of North Riverfront at the north, Greater Ville and Fairgrounds toward the south, College Hill towards the east and Penrose at the west. As of the 2010 census, the neighborhood’s population was recorded at 5,791 residents. It is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the third and 21st Ward.
As mentioned, the north St. Louis City of O’Fallon serves as a tribute to John O’Fallon who was, at one point, one of the wealthiest individuals in all of St. Louis during the 19th century. A Kentucky college graduate, John enlisted into the army towards the beginning of the War of 1812. Nearly three years later, he was promoted to Captain of the Second U.S. Rifle Regiment Unit. In 1818, he resigned his from the Army after the War’s end brought forth downsizing and eventually O’Fallon began a successful farming and whiskey business in 1823. His notoriety during this time would land him the role of Representative to the first Missouri State Legislature in 1822. Throughout his life, he would remain one of the top tier businessmen in St. Louis assisting in railroad manufacturing as well as land donation throughout Missouri … in particular the land of O’Fallon Park, whose ordinance would conclude the regional O’Fallon namesake with O’Fallon in St. Charles founded in 1856 and O’Fallon, Illinois incorporated in 1874.
Though not much is known historically about the neighborhood, it is adjoined by two major parks at its northern and lower-eastern boundaries. O’Fallon is primarily a residential neighborhood with mainly brick and frame single-family, two-family and multi-family units
Residents of O’Fallon are served by the St. Louis Public School District