Within the northern region of St. Louis City lies the neighborhood of St. Louis Place. Covering roughly 0.69 total square miles of land, its population, at the time of the 2010 census, is 2,939 residents. St. Louis Place is bounded by the St. Louis City neighborhoods of Hyde Park at the north, Carr Square at the south, Old North St. Louis at the east and JeffVanderLou at the west. The area’s name comes from St. Louis Place Park, a 14-acre park right in the heart of the neighborhood. St. Louis Place is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the third and fifth Wards respectively.
St. Louis Place has history dating back to as early 1850 as a part of a Union addition opened by several wealthy St. Louis residents such as famous architecture Louis A. LaBeaume and businessman John O’Fallon – whose name would serve regions of both O’Fallon, Missouri and O’Fallon, Illinois. The earliest residents of the neighborhood were mainly of German and Irish descent and came to the area throughout the mid-1850s in search of work during an industry boom within the northern area of St. Louis City.
The area’s German heritage was immensely strong during the neighborhood’s earliest days as it served as the religious and cultural zeitgeist for German residents in St. Louis. It was here that the German Zion Lutheran Church was founded in 1860 and joined into a united congregation, or “Generalgemeinde” as it is referred to, with three other nearby north St. Louis City churches. At its time, St. Louis Place was the only subdivision in the city to employ a linear park as a central feature of its street grid and only the third in the city to include a public park at all … but more on St. Louis Place Park later!
In 2011, the St. Louis Place Historic District, the neighborhood’s main residential urban district, was placed into the National Register of Historic Places. Covering over 58 acres of land, it houses the last outstanding portion of the city’s 1850 Union Addition. The majority of the area contains residential buildings built between 1870 and 1930.
Residents of St. Louis Place are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Covering 14 acres and put into ordinance during the neighborhood’s foundation in 1850, St. Louis Place Park is a central nine-block feature of the neighborhood. It is open year-round for residents and includes a basketball court, walking trails throughout the park, service buildings and a playground.
Located in the northern portion of St. Louis Place is the Griot Museum of Black History and Culture. It contains a variety of art, memorabilia and wax sculptures dedicated to the stories and culture of African-American heritage in relation to the regional connection of American history. Founded in 1997, the museum’s mission is to “be the premier resource for Black history and culture in the Midwest”.