Located in the south city region of the City of St. Louis is the historic neighborhood of Bevo Mill. Its general boundaries place its region with Chippewa Street towards the north, Holly Hills Boulevard at the south, South Kingshighway Boulevard and Gravois Avenue to the west and South Spring Avenue towards the east. Covering nearly 1.37 total square miles of land, Bevo Mill’s population, as of the 2010 census, was recorded at 12,654 residents. The neighborhood is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 13th and 14th Wards respectively.
Following the late 1860s, the neighborhoods within the northern and southern portion of Downtown St. Louis were completely filled to capacity. The overwhelming number of German immigrants to the region led to immense overpopulation and a need for residency elsewhere. It was during this time that the current day-Bevo Hill neighborhood began its initial development.
Much of its earliest German population constructed many of the foundation of the area around Gravois Road, a prominent road primarily used as a trade track between the city of St. Louis and most of the Missouri heartland.
Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, the region began to segment and many of the housing complexes developed into present day architecture. In 1915, a reproduction wind mill based on time-honored Dutch models began construction and was financed by August Busch Sr., founder of Anheuser Busch. Initially used as an entertaining space and dining hall for the Busch family specifically, it eventually became a public restaurant.
The Bevo Mill, as it was designated and where the neighborhood drew its inspiration in name, was selected as a beloved city landmark in 1971 … but more on its current history later!
Residents of Bevo Mill are served by the St. Louis Public School District.