Within the southern region of St. Louis City, you’ll find the Clifton Heights neighborhood. Bounded by fellow St. Louis City neighborhoods of Ellendale, Lindenwood Park, The Hill and Southwest Garden, Clifton Heights covers a total of 0.48 square miles. The neighborhood’s population, as of the 2010 census, is at 3,074 residents. It is represented by one Aldermen sitting in the 24th Ward.
The area that encompasses present-day Clifton Heights was initially a part of an 19th century land grant under the Gratiot League Square. By the mid-1800s, the land was comprised of five tracts owned four estates. It wouldn’t be until the 1880s that residential subdividing development would begin within the region. Further ongoing development would take place through the neighborhood’s history with the only mute period occurring from 1926 to 1953.
Residents of Clifton Heights are served by the St. Louis Public School District
Clifton Heights Park was donated to the City of St Louis in 1912. Initially developed as a private park for the residents of the Clifton Heights Subdivision when the subdivision was laid out in 1885, the park covers more than four acres of parkland and includes a playground, basketball courts as well as the Clifton Heights Lake.
Many community driven events take place within the Clifton Heights neighborhood each year. Annual events include an Easter Egg Hunt in April, September’s famous Party-in-the-Park and a Neighborhood Garage Sale in October.