Mount Pleasant is a St. Louis City neighborhood located in the southern region of the city with a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of 4,408. Bounded by the neighborhoods of Dutchtown at the north and west, Carondelet at the south and the Mississippi River near the east, Mount Pleasant covers no more than 0.60 total square miles of land. It is represented by four Aldermen sitting in the ninth, 11th, 20th and 25th Wards.
Unfortunately, not much is known into the development of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood. During the region’s earliest timeframe, it was nicknamed as “Mound City” due to the land housing nearly 40 mounds which are rounded areas of topographically higher elevation. The last one to survive within the region is located on the National Register of Historic Places in Sugarloaf Mound … but more on that later!
The neighborhood is fairly residential with two commercial districts located north on Meramec Street and on the west near South Compton Avenue. Although the construction of I-55 disrupted some of Mount Pleasant’s layout, several mid-century homes were constructed in the wake of the highway’s expansion.
Residents of Mount Pleasant are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Sugarloaf Mound is the only remaining Mississippian culture mound left on the west side of the Mississippi River of the many that had once been here. Mount Plesant’s growth lead to the flattening of all of them excluding Sugarloaf. The mound was purchased by the Osage Nation in the summer of 2009 who hoped to preserve the historical value of the mound. It was placed within the National Register of Historic Places that same year.
Opened to the public in 1812, Mount Pleasant Park is located in the upper western region of the neighborhood. Covering over three acres, it is not known if the neighborhood spawned the park’s name or vice versa. Highlights of the park includes a full playground and skating rink.
Mount Pleasant also includes a much smaller park area of limited greenspace at no more than a half-acre with Minnesota and Hill Park. Named as such due to its location at the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Hill Street, the park was placed into ordinance in 1924.
|Aldermen||Dan Guenther – Ward 9||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Sarah Martin – Ward 11||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Cara Spencer – Ward 20||(314) 622-3287|
|Aldermen||Shane Cohn – Ward 25||(314) 622-3287|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Dena Hibbard – Ward 6 and Ward 25||(314) 657-1359|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Barb Potts – Ward 9||(314) 657-1370|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||Kathryn Woodard – Ward 11||(314) 657-1355|
|Neighborhood Improvement Specialist||DeAnna Murphy – Ward 26||(314) 657-1371|