Located in the southern city portion of St. Louis is the neighborhood of North Hampton. Covering no more than 0.92 total square miles of land, its population was recorded at 7,892 at the time of the 2010 census. North Hampton is bounded by the streets of Scanlan and Connecticut at the north, Chippewa Street at the south, the southern portion of Kingshighway Boulevard to the east and Hampton Avenue to the west. The region is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the 10th and 23rd Ward. North Hampton is a neighborhood of neighborhoods within a neighborhood – as the Tilles Park neighborhood sits at the western area and the Kingshighway Hills neighborhood sites at the eastern boundaries.
In 1932, Andrew Tilles, a prominent businessman and philanthropist, donated his farm land within the county region of Ladue to the City of St. Louis to be utilized in the form of a public park. He donated the 75-acre park in the memory of his mother, Rosalie Tilles who passed in 1872. Six years later, many of the park’s facilities began development through funds acquired by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which was the largest American agency who employed millions of workers to help with various public works projects.
Upon completion, Tilles Park was nationally recognized as one of the best preserved WPA construction developments in the area. In 1957, St. Louis County purchased the park, so the city could move forward with the construction of another park within the North Hampton city limits … hence why there are two public parks with the moniker of Tilles Park! Amenities for the North Hampton region include fields for athletics and an immense playground for residents’ children.
Unfortunately, not much is known in regards to the history of North Hampton’s other neighborhood of Kingshighway Hills. Its boundaries are defined by the streets of Flyer Avenue to the north, Chippewa Street to the south, Macklind Avenue to east and South Kingshighway Boulevard to the west.
Residents of North Hampton are served by the St. Louis Public School District.