Surrounded by the St. Louis City neighborhood of Carondelet by the north, the St. Louis County municipalities of Lemay and Bella Villa at the south and west and the Mississippi River towards the east is the Patch neighborhood. Much like many of the communities within the south city location, Patch is a historic region with three Historic Districts (the Carondelet/East of Broadway District, the Steins Street District and the St. Boniface District) all located within the neighborhood. As the 2010 census, Patch’s population was recorded at 2,695 residents and the neighborhood covers a total of 1.02 square miles. It is represented by one Alderman sitting in the 11th Ward.
The space that makes up present-day area of the Patch neighborhood was originally included as a section of a large village founded in 1767 known as the Carondelet Village. When the region was laid out, the land was mainly used for cattle grazing for nearby villages. By 1870, the City of St. Louis had annexed Carondelet Village and gave way to the development of the region as the city’s current-day Carondelet neighborhood.
The region has a tremendous German influenced touch thanks in part to Joseph Stein, a German immigrant who settled into the region in 1843 and acquired a hefty lot within the original Carondelet Village. Building a variety of large stone houses, he was so impressed with the area’s potential that he persuaded several Germans to settle within the area that came to be known as Patch. In fact, many of those initial immigrants were honored as street names during the area’s development with notable examples including Koeln Avenue, East Steines Street, Espenschied Street and more.
Residents of Patch are served by the St. Louis Public School District.