Located in the northern region of the City of St. Louis is Walnut Park West. Covering nearly 0.43 total square miles of land, it is surrounded by the St. Louis City neighborhoods of North Pointe, Walnut Park East, Goodfellow Terrace and the St. Louis County municipality of Jennings. At the time of the 2010 census, Walnut Park West’s overall population was recorded at 3,349 residents. The neighborhood is represented by one Aldermen sitting in the 27th Ward.
Although not much is known in regards to the overall history of Walnut Park and what lead to the eventual separation between Walnut Park East to Walnut Park West, the land that covers the two neighborhoods was originally held by the Spanish and granted to America through land transfers. Some of the most notable names within St. Louis held territory within the region, including Bryan Mullanphy, James L. Clemens and James Jennings. During the 19th century, much of the Walnut Park land and surrounding areas were utilized for agriculture and meadow land for dairy farming.
In 1849, one the region’s largest farmland was held by local cultivator Charles E. Bircher and covered nearly 80 acres to contain a truck garden, pond, pasture and plenty of rural acreage. Forty years later in 1888, residential subdivisions began platting alongside the present-day region of the city of Jennings. Public transportation stretched to the Walnut Park area in 1893 when the Union Depot Railroad Company’s Bellefontaine branch extended from Florissant Avenue to both Calvary and Grand Avenue. Throughout the earliest 20th century, many of the Walnut Park homes were built by German immigrants and generally range from being a combination of brick and frame single-family residences.
Residents of Walnut Park West are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Originally known as the St. Louis Comprehensive Neighborhood Health Center, Walnut Park West’s Myrtle Hilliard Davis Comprehensive Health Center is the region’s most extensive healthcare facility. What once began as a training center for health care professionals has grown into an immense establishment whose mission is to “provide affordable and complete healthcare to any medically under-served St. Louis resident.”