Wells Goodfellow is a St. Louis City neighborhood located in the northern region with a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of nearly 5,895 residents. Covering no more than 1.23 total square miles, the neighborhood is bounded by fellow St. Louis City neighborhoods of Hamilton Heights at the south, Kingsway East and West at the east, Mark Twain I-70 Industrial towards the north and the St. Louis County municipality of Hillsdale towards the west. Dominated by mainly single-family complexes in the Dutch style, the neighborhood also includes many two to four family buildings within the busier streets. It is represented by two Aldermen sitting in the first and 22nd Ward respectively.
A majority of the Wells Goodfellow region dates back to the Civil War where, at one time, it was the locale of a popular amusement center known as the Suburban Garden. As the 20th century moved forward, the area began experiencing a tremendous expansion period throughout the 1920s and 1930s as residential dwellings began development. Along with the semi-rural land, many single-family homes, duplexes, apartment buildings and four-family flats began construction all throughout the region.
One of the key reasons many felt this region had growth potential was in part to the Wellston Trolley Station. Built in 1909, the Wellston Station was a key landmark of a flourishing commercial district within the area and was built to serve the streetcar loop for the region. It grew to become one of the busiest streetcar transfer areas in the entire country by 1940. Though while the station still remains, it has ceased operation since 1966.
Residents of Wells Goodfellow are served by the St. Louis Public School District.
Since opening to the public in 1947, Barrett Brothers Park has been a popular place for locals to take in all the great things parks offer. Covering over 13 acres, the park’s name comes from two local brothers Frank and Florrie Barrett who gave their lives fighting in World War II. The park was dedicated to their memory two years after their death.
Maffitt Cabbage Patch Garden is a local community garden located near Maffitt Avenue and Kennerly Avenue.